How can I add or change the TINs associated with my account?

If you would like to add to or change the TINs (Tax ID Number) associated with your Cohere account, please click here to submit a Support Request Form.

If your facility’s TIN is missing when you try to submit a request, please notify the associated payer to have the facility directory updated. You can also manually enter the facility information for the request.

Have more questions?
Submit a request